ANZAC rifle platoon

So this week my painting has travelled from the frozen forests of Finland to the steamy jungles of Nui Dat.  I’ve completed my 1st ANZAC rifle platoon for Vietnam. This is my 3rd platoon completed and I’m now one more rifle platoon away from playing my 1st 1000 pt Nam game.

image image image image image image image image image image

ANZAC painting blog – Rifle teams

Today, I finished my 1st 3 stands of my ANZAC rifle platoon.  These guys have taken me awhile to paint as I’ve experimented with the colour scheme and technique a fait bit. Also being the hobby butterfly that I am, I’ve been painting a Panssari company at the same time, which has really slowed down the process

To paint the uniform I started with a basecoat of Russian uniform. This was followed up with a watered down black wash and then a light drybrush of Russian uniform.  The webbing and straps was painted using Khaki followed up by a brown wash

The skin is still something I need to work on.  These models have a lot more exposed flesh then previous infantry models that I’ve painted as a lot of the models have rolled up sleeves. The scheme I landed on in the end was a basecoat of flat flesh followed by a watered down brown wash.

The base was done using a variety of different material, using some tufts, forest blend bushes and medium green lichen (which at this scale looks like fallen branches).

Overall, I think these are some great sculpts by Battlefront with lots of detail, which made them a lot of fun to paint.  I’m really looking forward to painting the rest of the platoon.

Group shot

Group shot

 

1st squad

1st squad

 

2nd squad

2nd squad

 

Command team

Command team

 

2nd squad from another angle

2nd squad from another angle

 

ANZAC painting blog – Armoured Vehicles

So over the long weekend I managed to finished painting my 2nd Centurion Tank and M113 APCs for my ANZAC Rifle company.

This involved a lot of watered down coats of Russian uniform for the base coat. I followed it up with a wash of black wash, brown wash and water mixed together roughly a 3rd each. I then dry brushed over the vehicles with a mixture of Russian uniform and Iraqi Sand.

I then tries to replicate the infamous Vietnam red mud, I mixed together some beige brown and orange, to get a light reddish-brown colour.  I applied this in two stages, firstly I dry brushed over the tracks and road wheels, then I used a stippling brush to stipple the paint on to the side skirts and lower parts of the front and back of the vehicle to try and give the effect of splattered mud.

Finally, I applied the decals, which is a lot of fun as the Vietnam decals are quite interesting.  After doing some research on the Australian War Memorial website, I was going to use the decal that is meant to say “Birth Controller” running down the barrel to match an actual tank from the 1st Armoured regiment.  However, Battlefront forgot to spellcheck both the decal sheets I had, spelling “Birth Cornroller” instead (Not the most intimidating name for a tank).

So without further ado, the finished product(s):

The mighty Centurion Tank

The mighty Centurion Tank

 

Taking advantage of the magnetised hull

Taking advantage of the magnetised hull

Call Sign 3 Alpha, nicknamed "Canned Heat"

Call Sign 3 Alpha, nicknamed “Canned Heat”

APC nicknamed "Been, Seen and Done"

APC nicknamed “Been, Seen and Done”

All the APC's have been numbered on the front and back of the vehicle

All the APC’s have been numbered on the front and back of the vehicle

 

APC nicknamed "Contractor"

APC nicknamed “Contractor”

Command APC with mud splattered across the front

Command APC with mud splattered across the front

APC nicknamed "Clitoris Pubis"

APC nicknamed “Clitoris Pubis”

Another view from the front

Another view from the front

"The new Diabolical"

“The new Diabolical”

Group shot

Group shot

Smile for the camera

Smile for the camera

 

Finally a sneak peak of what’s next to come, some ANZAC rifle teams, I’ll hopefully have these up on the weekend.

The early stages

The early stages

Something new in the painting que

With the MW GT over and having painted a lot of winter camouflage lately, I’ve decided it’s time to get cracking on something new.

This week I’m going to focus on painting up a Centurion tank (my favourite tank in the battlefront range) and some APCs for my ANZAC rifle company for Nam.

With the upcoming long weekend I’ll have plenty of time to get these painted and will have the final product up this weekend.

In the meantime here is a very early progress shot

The early stages

The early stages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...