I’m back and I have managed to get my hands on one of the new Plastic Honey tanks from Battlefront. With all the new version 4 kits on the way and a pile of Team Yankee that stands higher than me. It’s time to look at quick ways to get the new releases on the table as quick as possible. Not to mention that they are just 5 points for a troop of 3 tanks and to fill a full squadron you’re going to need 3 boxes for 27 points (did I type that… oops)
I’ve recently completed painting a platoon of British Stuarts and Sherman objective marker. Below is a run through of how i’ve painted my British armour.
To start with I applied a basecoat of VMC russian uniform using my airbrush (for more details read here http://www.axisofattack.com/uncategorized/a-new-dawn-painting-with-an-airbrush/).
I then applied a black was thinned down with water 50:50.
After the wash has dried, I apply a highlight. To do this I mix together VMC russian uniform and khaki and drybrush this over the model.
I generally skip painting the tracks and prefer to have them look like they are covered in mud. I do this as part of the weathering of the vehicle, applying a heavy drybrush over the tracks and a light drybrush over the armour. To do this I use VMC flat earth mixed with VMC US tan earth.
I decided to apply some black smoke pigment to the areas of the destroyed Sherman where it had been shot up. This was done using the flames of war weathering pigments.
I mixed the pigment with a small amount of water and painted it onto the the penetrated areas of the tank.
One thing I learnt the hard way with these pigments is you need to apply a Matt Medium over the pigment to protect the colour and protect it from rubbing off. For this I used Vallejo Matt Medium and just brushed it on.
After applying a dull coat the models where complete.
Over the past year I have gone back and forth on whether or not to purchase an airbrush. After much conversation with Sean and seeing the finish an airbrush could achieve I finally decided to purchase one (a nice tax refund helped here too).
Sean gave me some fairly simple but truthful advice when it came to purchasing which was “buy the best damn airbrush you can afford”. This claim was backed up by several other experienced airbrush users I spoke too. With that in mind, I visited my local model shop Hobbyland at Hornsby (unfortunately they don’t sell FoW) and picked up a Paasche dual action airbrush set.
I was keen to get started right away and pulled out a British Sherman objective marker to test on straight away.
I mixed up some Vallejo Russian Uniform model colour with a Tamiya paint thinner until I had a milk like consistency, loaded this into the side feed and got spraying.
I was so impressed by the quality of the basecoat and the time it took, that I pulled out some British Stuart’s I already had undercoated and sprayed them as well. All up the 4 tanks took me about 10 mins and produce a great base coat which was ready to go.
Getting to this stage with a brush used to took me significantly longer. It would generally involve 3-4 watered down layers of the base colour, plus all the drying time in between, before I would get to this stage.
The cleaning of the airbrush didn’t take too long either, I sprayed through a mix of water and the airbrush thinner until it came through clear and then gave it a quick wipe.
I’m really looking forward to doing more painting with the airbrush this coming weekend and I’m eyeing up the 6 Churchills that I own sitting in a box waiting to be painted.
Realising I needed a break in regards to painting infantry, I decided to pull out some tanks I had lying around and paint them over the weekend to mix it up. I decided on some AA Crusaders as I really like the models.
I still need to add some decals, but I need to order some to start with so they’ll come later.