A fellow stormtrooper, Manni, has been itching to talk about his 7th Armoured Division – recently taken to MOAB:
Hey everyone, today I will be talking about my Winter / Battle of the Bulge Americans! Mainly based out of the books from Blood Guts and Glory, (7th Armoured and 709th Tank Destroyers) and soon-to-be Nuts (Glider Rifles which are currently being built).
As you can see my American tanks are all white washed and winterised, the process I use is salt masking. I’ve seen plenty of people do a white wash with toothpaste or just using an old brush to get the paint streaks but the salt masking gives it a wonderful looking two layered effect as well being pockmarked.
My process is to paint the tanks in their regular colours, which include tracks, commanders, just to the point that I gave it the ink wash. After that I varnish the tanks, then I use masking tape to cover the tracks, the commanders, and stowage. Then comes the salt, place it on the most used areas or most vulnerable areas to begin rubbed off such as hatches, mud guards, all hard edges and so on. It’s up to you how fresh the white wash should be, more salt = more uncovered areas so think about what you want before you do it. After which you then grab a can of white spray paint, I use the Army Painter White base Primer since I have a lot of trust in Army Painter.
I then spray the whole tank completely white, I have heard plenty that people have experimented with very thin coats of white to allow the base colour to show through but in all cases I have heard it looks terrible and that is my experience as well. Make sure you spray the white coat solidly, the same you would if you were priming or base coating the tanks.
Then when it dries you scrape off the salt and remove the tape, I then grab a knife and softly scrape the white off the hard edges, sometimes it may not work and you could see the primer beneath but from a gaming distance it’s acceptable since it gives the mini’s edges more definition in case you haven’t put much salt on the edges. I then paint any tools or stowage that you couldn’t get to as well as any weathering such as snow on the tracks or whatever you feel like, lastly I put one last layer of varnish on and tada!
I highly recommend using regular table salt, it’s cheap and plentiful as well as easier to move into position with a wet paintbrush. I experimented with crush rock salt but it was too difficult to use since the rocks themselves were almost the size of 15mm infantry and didn’t give too good of an effect, you can see my 75mm M4A3L Shermans are rock salt experiments.
With Remagen now released, I am a little flummoxed as to what to do if I want to field Americans out of that but all in all they are still very similar, I just need to invest in some Chaffees which I will probably winterise anyway.
So that’s my Winter Americans, hopefully you all like them and possibly inspire you to create a winterized army!